
It's been a little caotic here in the Dobron house. Cole decided he wasn't going to take naps even though he is so incredibly tired. I would be able to get him down for a nap maybe twice a day if lucky and often if I got him to sleep, he'd be up 10 minnutes later. Dan and I were at a loss. We didn't know what to do differently and I could feel that I was losing it. Sunday came after a rough weekend already with Cole. We got a babysitter for the first time to watch Allison AND Cole and put thim to bed. We saw the Bourne Ultimatum which was excellent by the way, but I couldn't really get lost in the movie becuase I kept wondering how Cole was doing. We got home and the babysitter was holding a red-eyed, tired Cole. He wouldn't go down for her and I can just imagine how cranky he must have been the ENTRIRE time since he had a 30 minute nap over a 7 hour period. Ugg. I felt so bad for her.
So Sunday came and Dan had a meeting before church so as I was getting everyone ready for church, the morning quickly turned down hill. Cole of course wouldn't take his mornigng nap--which I sware is the most needed one--and so he pretty much cried for an hour and a half while I showered, got ready,and got Allison ready. The whole time I'm thinking--I'm not going. I felt like my kids needed sleep and what was the point in taking two cranky tired kids--not to mention I wasn't in the best mental state myself. Anyway, Dan got home to pick us up and I decided to brave at least Sacrament meeting. Dan dropped me and Cole off and parked and came in with Allison who started off the meeting by crying as she came in to sit by me. Then as I was holding her to calm her down, she accidentally brought her head back fast and hit me right below my eye and I looked at Dan and said, "I think she just gave me a black eye," which she didn't thank goodness. Anyway, during the sacrament I just started crying. It all caught up with me and I just felt like I couldn't handle it anymore. I just prayed and prayed that I would be inspired to have some idea as to how to get Cole to sleep.
We made it all the way through church and came home and it was time for Cole to take a nap. I looked at Dan and said, "Have any great ideas or suggestions before I attempt to put him down?" Dan mentioned that he thought he really didn't like being wrapped up. That's all he said so I decided, ok here goes nothing. I was praying for patience all the way upstairs. I turned on his light (which I usually leave off when I go in to put him down, and I gave him this little stuffed puppy he likes to hold, and I layed him down and put a blanket over his legs. I turned on his crib toy, turned off the light and shut the door. NOT A SOUND! I couldn't believe it. I didn't get my hopes up yet....but he took a two hour nap!!! I was soooo relieved and grateful!
I know it sounds silly now. Maybe it was the Lord's way of saying--stop saying Cole isn't as good a baby as Allison because he could be a lot worse.
There's just something about tired kids that makes you feel like you're going to lose it! Cole has been much better since. Today hasn't been perfect but it's been manageable. These are the times that make me think....maybe we will have the next baby a little further down the road.
2 comments:
Hang in there Krystal! Thing do get easier... sort of. At least in the sleep department! But speaking from experience, with the miracle blanket - they do reach a point where they sleep better without it. And usually its preceded by not sleeping as well. I had the same thing kind of happen with my kids... but i'd be scared to take them out of the swaddle. But when I did, they always slept even longer and better without it by that point. Good luck!
I'm with you on the last sentence........
Post a Comment