So like I think I'm sick of complaining about mom things. I mean, I love being a mom and I feel extremely blessed to have two beautiful, healthy children to care for. I think the housework is one of the biggest complaints...or most frequent complaints I have. But I was reading an article in the Ensign a while back that talks about how not only is that one element of being a mom that is a way we show our family we love them, but it is a great way to teach our children and grow closer to them. The example in the article was to have the kids help match socks in the laundry. I mean, Allison could do that and I think she'd like it and I think it would make her feel good that she helped and that we were able to spend time together doing it.
(I guess when someone can show me how to do the whole link thing I could link you to the article.) I think I just need a paradigm shift. The silly thing is that I've been thinking about this a long time. I just haven't done anything about it... and as my mom would always tell me- that's the definition of INSANITY- doing the same thing expecting different results. It's very easy to talk with other moms and get into the rutt -- "*humf* I swear all I do is pick up and clean messes all day." Or, "I'm doing my 4th load of laundry--what load are you on--I know it's never ending." Or, "Is it just me or did I just empty the dishwasher...again." I could go on and on. I mean, two sets of diapers, wasted food, potty training, the WHINING! UG! So I'm going to try really hard you guys. I'm going to try and see things in a different light. Which means....that if any of you talk to me and I start spouting....I need a helpful reminder to turn my conversation around to what is good about all that stuff I keep complaining about.
So no, the laundry won't go away, the diapers will be around for a long while, and the whining will continue. But what's the point in complaining about it?! Does it help? NO! It just makes it that much more depressing. It's something one of my BYU professors called entropic work. It the stuff that is constantly being undone. Throwing away trash, only to have to throw more trash away the next day. More dirty clothes and more messes. A woman's work is never done. No punching out at 5 pm (I wish--that's the witches hour), and pretty much there's always something that needs to be done, but that's all part of being the mom!
Ok. I'm done. It's late. And I'm typig to myself. I guess that's what blogs are for. Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amen to that! I'm learning this all too well... and I only have one baby so far. I'm proud of the work I do (when I get work done), but I think I also set these extraordinary expectations on myself. It's all about trying to be super-mom and super-wife, I guess. I know you're doing an awesome job--you can look at those beautiful babies of yours and tell! You know, I really look up to you. Love ya!!
Preach it, sister!
Krystal - Try four! I never sit down. Hang in there I hear it gets better.
Post a Comment