Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to me :)

I was thinking yesterday, " Yes! Mother's Day tomorrow means sleeping in, and being "of-duty" I can't wait." Then I realized, wait a second.... Dan gets up with Allison almost every morning so I can sleep in until he goes to work...AND he comes home and helps out sooo much with everything that EVERYDAY feels like Mother's Day with a husband like him! I know the "off-duty" part obviously isn't a daily occurrence but let's face it, it doesn't happen ON Mother's Day either. So as I was thinking this the other day I started thinking of all the many things Dan does for me and how he is such an amazing husband and father...and then today, he decides to essentially do the same but in writing--about me!!! All day today I stumbled on little notes around the house... taped on the computer "I love you because you pay the bills...and keep the budget"... on the bookshelf..."I love you because you read to our children...on the dresser..."I love you because you dress classy"....on the mirror..."I love you because you are beautiful"...and on and on...he says he made 25 and he expects me to encounter them hidden in different places throughout the week. How sweet is that! He really is the greatest and I'm so glad to be able to raise our kids with him. He constantly tells me what a great mom I am... most especially when I'm feeling down about not being great at it. I'm the luckiest mom/wife in the world!

That's not all...I have the greatest mom in the world too. My mom has taught me soo much over the years and always instilled confidence in me from a young age to become independent. She is so easy-going and happy, and as a mom she is always in "teaching mode." I don't know how she does it. To me it seems exhausting teaching a 3 and 1 year old the things they need to know but to my mom it comes easy. My kids gain so much from being around her and learning from her. I'm am so grateful that I can call her whenever I have a dilemma or I need her help with a tough parenting situation. She always reminds me of the principles she has learned that work like magic! I love being an adult now and having our relationship transform into a friendship. It's amazing how becoming a mom yourself opens your eyes to the countless sacrifices that your own mom went through--and still goes through. It sure magnifies the love I have for her and helps me to comprehend a little better the love she has for me. I love you mom and hope to be as good a mom for my kids as you have been for me!



5 comments:

Tami said...

Wow, Dan is smooth. I would love to find little notes like that around the house. I'm impressed.

jess said...

sweet, sweet dan. what a good guy. hope you had a great mother's day! and yes- we are doing a blue lilly session next thursday! i can't wait!

lauren said...

dan really is the man... and can you have your mom teach me a thing or two about parenting? in fact i just asked shannon if i could borrow some of her books on the topic. i have a rebellious 2 year old!

Shannon and Andrew said...

Those notes were such a inventive idea. Love it. Also, I love the pictures of your mom just playing with the kids.

Christian and Karina said...

I am so happy for you that Dan did that for you... it is so good to hear those things, isn't it! Please tell him I am proud of him. On the same token, I am glad that he has a fantastic wife like you.