When we heard the news, we quickly planned to leave for Utah the next day.
We had gotten in late that first night and the next morning at 7am, we woke up to Savannah coming and telling us Allison had thrown up. Ugg. She spent the greater part of the day on our newly cleaned sheets (which got re-washed before we went to bed) and just drifted in and out of sleep, enduring a low fever, and coughing and puking. Poor girl. She was soo good though and by 2 that afternoon, after a nice bath, she was a new girl.
During the week we crammed in visits to family and friends while we spent a few short days there.
We visited my grandma (or GG as the grandkids call her for Great Grandma). She was elated to find out we were suddenly in town and could stop in. The kids drew her pictures and performed some songs which she loved.

The weather was so nice, Kacy and I decided to take the kids to the little zoo by Thanksgiving point. We fed the animals...when I say we I mean me and Cole...Allison loved the animals but kept a safe distance like she does with most animals. She kept talkling about going on the pony ride but when we got up close, she changed her mind. She seemed like she really wanted to but it was just outside her comfort zone and she could get herself to get over it. Cole liked it though.


We of course had to get Cafe Rio salads and hit good ole Tepanyaki (I had two salads--the dressing has no match- and fried noodles...YUM! and extra veggies... I wasn't going to skimp on my once a year visit.) Allison was scared out of her mind from the fire and decided she preferred to sit on a chair about 15 feet from all the tables. She finally braved up at the end and made us change our regrets for bringing her. Cole was stoked to have salad and noodles too and did awesome during dinner. Our friends the Gleasons had joined us for dinner and then we stopped in at their house after to see their kids.

They were so old we couldn't believe how much had changed since we last saw them. They played their hearts out and begged for a sleep over, but we decided that we had enough sleeping issues to deal with already. And Dan and Ryan of course got out their aggressions with some rough housing....I expected nothing different...but insisted Dan didn't get injured for our drive home.Wednesday was the funeral for Dan's grandfather. It was a beautiful service. We had the viewing prior and Dan offered up a beautiful family prayer before entering the chapel. I didn't know if Allison should go to the viewing but she kept saying she wanted to say goodbye. I explained to her that he would look very different because his spirit went to heaven and it wasn't in his body anymore, and that he wouldn't respond to her, but would be lying in a casket. Dan held her as we went in, she took a good long look at him, but didn't seem disturbed. I think it made sense what we explained. She spent the rest of the time in the nursery with Cole. The Relief Society was so amazing, they had a nursery for all the kids and put on a beautiful and tasty luncheon for us afterward. Then the pallbearers transferred the casket to the hearse and it was flown to San Diego for the burial.

The last day were were there, we visited with our great friends, the Gardners. Matt was Dan's mission buddy and his wife, Alicia, and I have become great friends. We sure wish we lived closer together. The girls just got right back into the swing of things and played dress up and then headed for some fun in the backyard with their pet bunnies! Alicia gabbed away catching up. We only saw them for a couple hours. It was much too short a visit--we wish we could have stayed longer. These photos were taken by Allison:


After visiting with the Gardners, we had to make a couple quick stops to some places we don't have in Utah like the Sara Lee bread store to load up on bread (12 loaves) and then the Shade clothing store. I realized I've had my same shade tops since before I moved here to California (ewe)I bought them from the lady's house who actually invented the whole Shade clothing line. It's amazing how dark the black tops are--it was time for some new ones...yikes....by the way...if anyone needs some capsleeve Shade tops, I can get them for only 10 dollars so call me and I can put in an order. I think I need a couple more already so we could combine our purchases.
Anyway, then we caught a quick dinner with Kari, Jordan, and Nick before we all parted ways. I think Nick and Cole have a special little connection. Here are the boys.

My one concern about our visit was Cole's sleeping situation. So we brought the crib tent for Cole and Holly graciously slept in a pack n play in her parent's closet to accommodate him the whole week. After the first rough night, Cole was determined to sleep in a "big boy bed." Savannah has two beds in her room (getting ready for Holly to move in when the baby comes) and Allison was being weird about sleeping in her room so she was in a makeshift bed on the floor of our guest bedroom. So Cole got his wish and slept in the big bed. He did better, aside from a few bumps with his head on the rails. We tried to pad the edges of the bed with blankets but apparently he would wake up repeatedly throughout the night, bump his head, whine a bit, and fall back asleep. It made for a few not so great nights of sleep for Savannah (sorry girl!!) So we switched him back to the crib for the last night and that night sucked. He woke up all through the night freaking out...waking up EVERYONE (but Alli and Holly). By then, even though we were sad our trip was so short, we were ready to get everyone back in their own beds!
As much as the reasoning we were there was sad, I had been yearning to visit for so long that it satisfied my need to see my sister and her family, and other family and friends. Other than Cole's sleeping issues, our kids did AWESOME. Allison was full of "ok mom" 's and she would listen and do after asking her ONCE! I was in heaven. Now the last week has been another story...she decided to make up for lost time I guess.
5 comments:
Those pictures Ali took are Hillarious! She's a good little photographer... And Aspen is pulling an Awesome face. It was so Fun to see you guys... much too short a visit for us too. I guess Matt and I will just have to make it out to Cali some time this year!
you are looking so cute preggers...
I'm glad you had such a good trip. So sorry about Dan's grandpa.
So fun to have you here! Sorry about that last night. We should have just told Savannah to suck it up so that you guys could have a good night of sleep before driving home. Come back soon!!! =)
i don't know why but for some reason your blog doesn't work with my bloglines... here i just thought you'd been busy and pregnant, but all these updates! i guess i'll have to check in the old fashioned way.:) one of these days we'll have to get together when you make it up here again...
Post a Comment