Sunday, February 3, 2008

Just a thought

My dad is an amazing man. When I think of one word to describe him it is "wise." He applies everything he learns right away and then he is sure to share his new found knowledge with anyone who cares to know. One thing I have learned from my dad is an interesting perspective on the word "hypocrite." He says although he knew the definition of a hypocrite to be someone who professes to be something they're not (in simple terms), he said there's more to it than what we usually think. I automatically think hypocrites profess to be MORE than they really are but he shared that a hypocrite can be someone who acts, pretends, or professes to be more OR LESS than they really are.

Guilty.

I think that as a mom especially to my daughter, it is so important for me to be an example of someone who is real. Of course I have faults and weaknesses that I am working on. But it is important for my daughter to see that I can be confident in who I am and not allow myself to pretend to be less than who I am. Really, I think that's what our Heavenly Father wishes more women and mothers WOULD do! He sees our potential and I think it hurts him to see so many of us living under that potential and settling, or professing to be less than we really are.
Just a thought.

2 comments:

The Gardners said...

I think that more women should complain to department store managers about manikins that are not wearing bras.

Megan Conrad said...

Not that I'm a mom yet, but I can totally relate. It's so easy to put ourselves down, and I love watching the women in my life who are so confident about who they are. That's such an interesting way to "hypocrite." I never thought of it that way.