Monday, March 23, 2009

Sleep...or lack thereof

Well, it's been an interesting few weeks since the little monkey discovered how to climb out of his crib. At first, I tried the Supernanny tactic of going in the room after every time he climbed out and sticking him back in. After 14 times, he gave in and napped. That worked for one day. Then, I decided to put a door knob cover on the inside of his room so if he got out, he was sleeping on the floor. That actually worked well a couple of times but made for short naps.(See him huddled by the door with the light on? He didn't even climb on his little couch I strategically left in there for him.)


We would have a few good days and nights and then a rough one when I would think, now WHY didn't I reorder the crib tent? After a few nights of regrets of not having it, I finally ordered 2 different ones to try out. One was cheaper so I had it sent to my house, and had the other sent to the store for free shipping charges. The cheaper one works great! Since putting the crib tent on, Cole's been doing really well...although it's hard to say if that is the only factor because he has been pretty darn tired every time we've put him down so he hasn't been putting up much of a fight anyway.
Then we borrowed a toddler bed. My plan was, before the baby comes, get him into a toddler bed and teach him to stay in it by telling him if he got out, he'd be zipped in the crib. After last night when, half asleep, Cole asked to get in his crib, I wondered if my brilliant plan was going to work. The baby won't need the crib until like September anyway I assume so maybe he's just not ready for it. We'll keep trying though. I'm not sure if he fell out of the bed or what, because when I checked on him before I went to bed, his head was at the foot of the bed.

Anyway, at least I feel like we've got the control back. We'll see what the week brings! (Awe, doesn't he look cute in a bed!?)

4 comments:

Jody said...

Ooo, I've been looking into video baby monitors. What kind do you use? Do you like it? Based on the reviews I read, it seems hard to find one with a clear picture that doesn't interfere with your phone and wireless internet. What's your experience been?

Jessica said...

When we first got Margo a toddler bed she didn't want to sleep in it. We had to read to her in her toddler bed, but then she wanted to sleep in the crib. Then one night she wanted to sleep in the toddler bed and that was it for. She loved it. We did switch lock though so I have to lock her door for naps or she would get up a million times. But with it locked she knows she can't get out and she goes to sleep.

Not quite Utards said...

so cute. Good luck with the transition!

Laura said...

i think it would be fun to have anotherbaby just to try all the new gadgets!! love the crib tent and camera