Friday, March 13, 2009

Call me crazy...for cookies.


So it's girl scout cookie time and everyone seems to head for the thin mints....my personal favorite? Tagalongs....no, no, not Peanut Butter Patties, Tagalongs. You may say, "but they are the same cookie!" A contrar moofrar, I have noticed the difference. I finally learned WHY the two cookies that appear to be the same with 2 names, are really two different cookies to my taste buds. Turns out, there are two different manufacturers or bakers that supply the girl scout cookies. One is called Little Brownie Bakers, the other is ABC Bakers. You may also recall Peanut Butter Sandwiches being called Do-Si-Dos by Little Brownie Bakers, or the shortbread cookies, otherwise known as Trefoils by the Little Brownie Bakers. I made the discovery last year when I ordered Tagalongs (made by Little Brownie Bakers), ate through the 2 boxes in an ashaming amount of time, and then restocked from the girl scouts in front of the grocery store. When I got home, the cookie tray in the box was wrapped in foil instead of clear plastic. (Only something a sick and twisted cookie lover would notice.) Then came the first bite. Wait a second. The chocolate doesn't scrape easily off the wafer with a quick maneuver of my top teeth...and the peanut butter is bland....and the wafer is thicker . These are NOT the same cookies. Sadly, I was $4 per box poorer and ate the cookies so as not to waste, but did so dissatisfied. So this year, as the order sheet was passed along, I purchased two lonely boxes of Shortbread cookies and Peanut Butter Sandwiches, refusing to spend $4 per box on the less than perfect Peanut Butter Patties.
So it's a cry for help....I know the girl scouts in Temecula and probably all of Riverside sell cookies from ABC Bakery....rumor has it that Vista Girl Scouts sell from Little Brownie Bakery. I need to stock up before they disappear for good until next year. So until then, I'm on the hunt!!
Think I'm crazy....see for yourself http://www.girlscoutcookies.org/meet_cookies.asp

3 comments:

Eve said...

Okay, it has been too long since I've had good old fashioned Tagalongs. I did notice that the cookies started tasting different, thank you for cracking the case for me! I should've ordered from my niece in Orange County. Next year!

Ashley and Aaron said...

Wow, you are quite the cookie connoseur! I had no idea someone could be so educated on this topic. That being said, I am really glad you tipped me off...I love girl scout cookies! Samoas and Thin Mints are my favorite...Aaron and I love to crush up thin mints in a chocolate milkshake...YUM! Oh man, I just may need to go find some right now.

Erin said...

Krystal, I just got some from Little Brownie Bakers in front of the grocery store down here so come get some.