So I will admit, it's nice not to have a commitment to a calling on Sundays or really during the week. All I'm in charge of is helping to come up with ideas for 4 ward activities a year. Not too bad right? Well, unless it is the few weeks prior to the activity.
We threw our first Valentine Ward Adult party last night and I will have to admit...it was pretty fun. The decor looked awesome--I should have taken more pictures. The company was great....but the turnout--sooo small. We had 11 dessert sign-ups so we figured at least 22 people from that plus the 4 people on the committee and their husbands...well, only 4 of the people showed that signed up for dessert and I think we totaled 30 people at the party. But that's ok---really, those of us that DID go had a really really good time. The theme started out as a mock prom idea...totally fun--but then we got poo pooed and were told we couldn't use the word "prom" so as not to exclude the singles (I tried to argue that most of our youth go stag anyway so why not just say "come stag or bring your date"--it didn't take.) So we improvised and said it was a dance, and to wear an outfit from the 1940's to the 1980's. I'll admit. I didn't really think about my costume until about a week before and then I was getting desperate. There's just something about dressing up in a costume while pregnant that just makes the whole outfit look weird. Not to mention I wasn't really in the mood to spend money on it. So...I improvised. I wore something I normally wear to church and then made the hair an make-up "make" the outfit. Shannon and I chose to dress up from the 40's----it really was fun. We looked up videos on YouTube on how to do your hair 40's style. Shannon was able to do an amazing job on her hair, and I had the help of my mom and some jimmy-rigged sponge curlers that I rolled my hair in to get the look. (Let's face it, my hair is "virgin" so it slips out of everything, and stick straight so it doesn't curl well, and thin, so getting body to my hair seems nearly impossible, meanwhile, Shannon, with her highlighted, thick, wavy hair makes these amazing rolls.) She really did amazing on the hairdo. With a little bit of thick eye-liner, red red lipstick and some fake eyelashes, the look was complete....oh, also a little bit of black tulle and a honkin' huge flower, and a boa (really a scarf) for accessories. I think we could all use a little lesson from the 40's. Women really dressed lady-like. And everyone seemed so proper. We need a little of that respect back these days. Plus I think Dan really liked wearing the hat and looking "bad." He kept saying he needed a Tommy gun. Easy babe.

We had a couple from the ward teach us a few swing moves and we had awards for best costume, best dessert (the one homemade dessert won--banana cream), grooviest moves, and best picture. We had everyone bring pictures from their high school or college days. The bishop's was by far the sweetest picture. I didn't know a white person's hair could fro that big. Holy cow...it was awesome. Then we did a naked leg---I mean bare feet ID. We pulled 5 guys secretly from the culteral hall and bishop let me paint his toenails red! It was so hilarious. Then we brought them out behind these chalkboards and a sheet covering them to their knees so you had to guess who's feet belonged to who. We matched the names above where we thought the feet belonged. The bishop's wife was so confused and was SURE that the painted toes were not her husbands. When they revealed themselves, the poses were priceless. I hope to get a hold of those pictures. They mixed the ID of the bishop with someone else and everyone was fooled.Bishop and his wife gettin' jiggy.
Here's a picture of some of the decor.
We even crowned a Valentine King and Queen. It was a couple in our ward that had been married the longest--66 years! They were so cute dancing together. I'm glad they came. And we had one single lady who bless her heart was there dispite the fact that last Sunday she celebrated the 5th anniversary of her sweet hubby's passing, and this month would have celebrated 63 years of marraige. Dan got her on the dance floor for a little slow song and she thought that was sweet.All in all, I think it was a success. Those of us that went had a great time. I just wish more people from the ward would have come so they could have joined in the fun.
After a quick clean up---thanks to the help of many that stayed to assist, a few of us went to IN-N-Out in our costumes. We got some smiles and double-takes. By then end of the night with decorating and dancing, my feet were killing me and I was able to take a replenishing nap today after church--love those.
Now I get to sit back and relax for another few months until the next activity.
7 comments:
Wow! the party looked amazing!! and people really went all out with the costumes! so fun. I felt so bad I couldn't really help out with this first activity - you guys did an awesome job. I'm surprised more people didn't show - though it was a 3 day weekend- I think there were a lot out of town.
anyways - good job! sorry we missed it.
Ryan and I really did have a great time. I even had fun decorating for the party. Activities committee is the calling I have always wanted and I am so excited to be on it with such a fun group of women. So bring on the next activity...I am ready.
You guys look so cute!
Sorry we couldn't come, but I wasn't going to dress up without Lee... Plus I can hardly find anything to wear as it is, let alone finding a costume to fit this huge belly.
We will try to come next year.
"let alone finding a costume to fit this huge belly."
Hey Jana, welcome to my world!
:)
You four looked AWESOME!! I'll have to pick a theme like that for a murder mystery dinner way down the road when I'm brave enough to host one!
How fun! We had the activites calling at BYU in our married ward and they wanted and activity every month. It was insane. I was a wreck the week of everytime- they are so much work. Looks like you guys did a great job.
What a fun party! I wished I felt better so that I could boogie better (?) with Dan and Derek. Glad I left Stan at home! And your outfits were awesome!!! Let's do it again. More 80's music. And where was the Cha-Cha slide Kay?
Post a Comment