Thursday, December 17, 2009

Who nose?

So I suppose it was time. My kids...especially Allison, have never been the type to stick things up their nose or in their ears. But I can say this no longer. I retrieved a message (a couple hours after it was left) by Allison's preschool teacher, who informed me that while making little reindeer, Allison had stuck rudolph's nose (a small pom pom ball) up her nose and they couldn't get it out. She said she was able to get Alli to calm down but she figured we'd need to take a trip to the pediatrician to get it out. When Alli got home, we headed to Urgent Care (my pediatrician never answers the phone--gotta love that Temecula healthcare eh?) So we get in and the doctor can see it barely and tries and tries to get it out with this long tool, but to no avail. After a bit of probing, Alli was pretty much done cooperating. So we had to get a referral to the ENT...which meant a trip to the pediatrician anyway. So instead of waiting for a call back, I drove there and waited. The front desk told us the doctor wanted to try getting it out before making the referral. So another $20 co-pay later, and a failed attempt by two doctors at once, we got the referral. Unfortunately, by this time, it was too late in the day to get in to see the ENT, so the appointment was made for the next morning.
Alli didn't seem too bothered by the little ball, so she went to bed. The next morning, we drove 30 minutes to Escondido, and after waiting in the wrong office for 25 minutes, we made it to the right place. The doctors were SOOOOO AWESOME.
(Before procedure )They stuck a cotton ball up her nose that had some anesthetic on it and after 15 minutes, they came in to get the rudolph nose out. They pretty much knew they had one chance so they made it count. In one fell swoop, they shoved this long tweezer thing up her nose and pulled out this tiny, slimy little red pom pom. Alli was not thrilled.... but then sort of glad at the same time. It was quite the ordeal, and when all was said and done, cost me $60. I had to chuckle on the way home. These are the moments that you look back on and think, "Kids sure do make life interesting."

2 comments:

Eve said...

That picture is seriously awesome. I love that you can see the tiny red culprit in the background.

The Dobrons said...

haha!! I know...and that sweet lady with such an empathetic look on her face