Monday, December 22, 2008

Traditions

Growing up, my family always had a lot of traditions surrounding Christmas. Christmas time was always very magical...especially Christmas Eve. Since Dan and I have been married, we've had the chance to carry on many of those traditions and start some of our own. I feel blessed to have a husband who has allowed our family to carry on many of my family traditions that mean a lot to me....some are simple but I know that changing the way you did things growing up can be hard. I like how we've started our own family's traditions by continuing some from each of our families. Here are a few:

Of course, there's decorating the tree. But now I have a new found appreciation for my mom and her efforts with the tree. I HATE lighting the tree but Dan leaves it up to me, not only because I am particular with the way it is lit...each bulb must be securely attached to each branch... but I've watched my mom light our tree with the big old fashioned bulbs year after year.

We usually take a night with the kids and hang the ornaments. I think this is Dan's least favorite part. He gets burned out after untangling ornament hooks for ever. He especially loves undoing my box of random ornaments from past teachers, aunts and uncles, friends and family. I tell him that's what gives the tree character!

In addition to the large bulbs we have the bubble lights! After the heat up a while, they send these cool fizzy bubbles up a long skinny tube. Those are my favorite, and a family I grew up with gave us some as a wedding gift to help us carry on the tradition they knew I loved.

To finish off the look of the tree, we set up a little village like Dan's family always had.


One year, Dan's mom made us a book compiled with a scripture, a story, and a song for each day of December leading to Christmas. Every year we try to be diligent about doing it every day but we always seem to miss on or two. I think as the kids grow up they will really appreciate the stories and understand the true meaning of Christmas from them.
I also grew up with a tradition of the "Thankful Tree." Each day, we take a round piece of construction paper (our ornament) and write something we're thankful for, then tape it to a tree made out of green wrapping paper. Anyone who comes to visit can't leave without adding to our thankful tree.....

or without taking one of these...
Another family tradition--candy planes and trains

I'm sure there are tons more I could post but I'll leave you with one last one that I love. My mom handmade Bucilla felt stockings for us and I have loved making them for each of my kids. I guess it's time to make another one for next year!

18 comments:

Jen's Life said...

Hooray! Congrats! I can't wait to hear all about it at breakfast in a few days! I'm so excited for you!

Eve said...

Way to sneak that in there, Krystal! Congratulations!

Jody said...

AHHHHH!!!! Congrats!!!!! Here I was just thinking this was a normal everyday blog post. What a sneaky way to announce it!

Details, woman! When are you due? How are you feeling?

Katie said...

Woo hoo! Yay for babies!

Connor said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!! Can't wait to hear more!

Connor said...

So I just noticed the date on the ultrasound - 11/25 - which was right before we saw you guys when we were down there. So when's the due date??

jess said...

how exciting!! congratulations you guys!!

Tina said...

Congratulations! How exciting, I'm so happy for you guys.

Tami said...

Ahhhh!! I KNEW IT. I told Brent almost 2 weeks ago I had a suspicion - after girls night. Man, I'm good.

How far along are you?? When are you due?? Congrats! Now you can be part of the cool prego club!! Guess I better not dilly dally about getting your maternity clothes back to you. :)

The Dobrons said...

ok ok July 7th everyone :)

4HandyKids said...

I knew it!! You had that GLOW the other day when I saw you. Congrats!

Chantel said...

EEEE! I'm so excited for you!! Congratulations!!! Looks like I'd better get your clothes back to you soon! ;)

Jana said...

Congratulations!
I figured you would be next in line... Man that mother's lounge is going to be crowded!

Ashley and Aaron said...

Your traditions look so fun! I love that picture of Cole holding up an ornament while making a funny face. Oh yeah...and your pregnant! Congratulations! And we just got your Christmas card in the mail today...what a cute fam you have!

* Stephanie said...

Congratulations! When are you due? We'll be excited to hear if it's a boy or girl.

Erin said...

Oh my goodness Congratulations!!! Yay!

Eve said...

Okay, my guess is a girl with that heart rate. I guess it'll be a couple more months before you find out, though, huh?

Brittany said...

I have been waiting for this post for a while! I didn't know, just thought maybe it might happen soon! Congrats!!! What great news! We are about 2 weeks apart! My due date is June 22nd! Im pretty excited for you! YAAY!