
So when I went to BYU, I had these neighbors in the dorms. I suppose I was a bit of a goody goody and was bothered by their loud music and the fact that they had guys in their room against the honor code. I finally took the matter to our Room Attendant after trying to study amidst the loud music. She came into my room and shared a scripture with me. It was in Matthew 5. It talks about loving our enemies and even praying for them. It was a doink to the eyes. I thought she would go in there and lay down the law, but instead, being an inspired returned missionary, she did something that would change the course of my relationship with that neighbor forever. And so it began. I went next door and started talking to them. We talked about music we liked and classes we were taking, where we were from (we grew up in neighboring cities in southern California) among other things. Now when I was studying, I would just ask them to keep the music to a low and other times, I'd come over and we'd dance around the dorm to their loud music. One of those girls was Tiffany. We were an unlikely match when it comes to friends. She was a bit rebellious and I grew up a bit more straight arrow. She helped me break out of my shell and become more social, while reading scriptures became a more common occurrence in her life.
We would dress our selves up and go out on the town....in search for a Provo party. It was one of those nights that she did my hair and makeup and took me to a restaurant of my choice for a Friday night out (she had a car). And that is how I met Dan at Panda Express.
Our path took a strange course....one you might assume would take us apart, but somehow, through ups and downs, and dating the same guy at different times, things just worked out. And now, when we meet every few months, we pick right back up where we left off....and the best part? Our families are growing and we get to see our kids play together.
There are some people who come into our lives at key times and help us to become who we are today. She is one of those. College life was fun in large part because of my friendship with Tiffany. Looking back, I see that that RA was led to tell me what she did and it is a lesson I will remember. Here's to you Tiff......I hope we can reminisce together until we're old about those good ole days at college. Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment