Monday, November 23, 2009

A chance meeting...at Panda Express of all places



I got to BYU- focused on my schooling, dated yes, but not looking to get married right away. I was 18 when Dan and I met....a child I know. And he was only off of his mission for 4 months at the time. It's strange that after growing up so close to each other, it was just far enough that our paths never crossed, until a chance meeting in Utah. Yup, the Panda Express in Orem is where it all began. Many times people say about couples--that the husband is the one who doesn't deserve his wife, or how did he end up with her, but I feel exactly the opposite. How did I get so lucky? How did we meet where we did, when we did? The answer is clear, it's like we are God's chess pieces and he moves us here and there, very strategically.

I was watching a recent wedding video of a friend and they described it perfectly, how they knew that each other was the one....they just felt so comfortable. And that's how it was. Dan was comfortable with who he was, (we'll call it confident, but not too cocky--although I do like a bit of ego in a man)and I felt totally comfortable around him. I didn't feel like I needed to impress him, I felt like he accepted me the way I was and he expected me to be myself.
He has this way with people, I've said it before. People are drawn to him....and surely I was and still am. I love this man with everything I am. He truly is my help mate. He is the least defensive person I know. He is ALWAYS open to change and ideas different to his own. He's extremely ambitious and I have just watched in awe as he went out on his own and made a way to provide for our family especially over these last few years. He loves good food and is always willing to spend a pretty penny on a good steak... good food is always something we both like to indulge in together. He is a self-taught guitar player. He has practiced through the pain of calloused fingers and really discovered a talent. I have always loved his singing. From the start, Dan has always loved to sing to the radio in the car. I sometimes tease him because he makes up his own words when he doesn't know the lyrics...but I love that about him. He LOVES music and the kids love it when he turns on the music really loud on Saturday mornings while we get ready.

He has a way with our kids....most daddy's do. I find myself sometimes calling him to my rescue and he knows just what to say to get them in line. Although he can be stern with the kids, they absolutely love how he plays with them. He can often be found enlisting the kids help washing the cars, doing yard work, or emptying the dishwasher. They feel so proud when they help daddy....and I think that's what makes him such an amazing dad...he knows just how to buoy up his little ones.

He is a man of God. Some men may feel like showing humility that way makes them weak...but I think it's the most attractive thing about him. He loves a spiritual high and he's not a flake when it comes to the important things. I only hope that I can be to him what he is to me. He has made me a happy woman over these last 8 years. Some people often say, "Oh, year 4 is the hardest" or, "uggg, year 7 is rough," but I haven't felt that one bit over these 8 years. Being married to Dan is easy. I love him and I'm excited to experience more of this adventure of life together! Happy Anniversary Babe!

1 comment:

Princess Danell said...

AWWW! Isn't it wonderful when God helps you find the right person, even if you don't think the timing is right. Good job listening when the chance came.